National Partnership for Women & Families

In the News

Komen Foundation Contributions Decline After Planned Parenthood Controversy

Komen Foundation Contributions Decline After Planned Parenthood Controversy

January 7, 2014 — Contributions to Susan G. Komen for the Cure declined by 22% in the year after the company's controversial decision to stop awarding grants to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screenings, the AP/Politico reports (AP/Politico, 1/4).

Komen's decision to end grants to Planned Parenthood prompted a public outcry, leading the organization to reverse its decision within days and restore funding. In the months following the reversal, a number of the group's leaders stepped down, and the foundation in June canceled its fundraising walks in seven cities that did not meet their monetary goals (Women's Health Policy Report, 6/6/12).

Funding Decline

Komen spokesperson Andrea Rader last week cited audited financial statements posted on Komen's website that showed contributions to the group -- including donations and corporate sponsorships -- dropped from $164 million to $128 million between fiscal year 2012 and FY 2013.

In addition, the statements showed that revenue from Komen's Race for the Cure and three-day events dropped by 19%, from $258 million to $208 million. Overall, the group's total revenue declined by 18% between FY 2012 and FY 2013, from $399 million to $325 million.

Rader said the reduced funding was caused in part by the Planned Parenthood controversy, as well as economic instability and competition from other charitable causes. However, she said that Komen is now seeing its revenue stabilize, adding that the group now has about 150 corporate sponsors (AP/Politico, 1/4).